Saturday, March 18, 2017

Stephie at nine, by Grandma Julie

Irish Dancer

I'm turning nine years old today and this may be a shock,
I have forgotten how to walk when I go around the block.


Instead of my feet walking one and two, they go jump to three.
I twirl around and over two three and kick up to my knee. 

Seven and eight and off I go, I dance along feeling free.
Watch out Mom if I get in your way or you might scrape your knee.

My dances are quite fancy now and the steps are hard to recall.
Over to three and heel toe heel, my arms don’t move at all.

How I dance depends upon my shoes. They’re soft for jigs and reels.
But hornpipes have to make some noise so then I wear hard heels.


We’ve traveled to cities around the bay because I love the feises
and if you see my medals you will know I've had successes.

For me my Irish dancing is more than just a lesson.
In this past year at nine years old, it’s become my main obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment